Pages

Tuesday 28 January 2014

Week 1: Let's Wrestle - The Lexington, Islington

So, the first gig in our odyssey of gig going this year saw an aborted attempt to go to an acoustic night down in a bar in Balham called The Three Monkeys.  There was an advert for an afternoon cocktail session with an (unnamed) band performing an acoustic set.  Having travelled all the way down there, we were disappointed to find the bar empty, not only of customers, but also of bands.  Not to fear, we retired to the nearby Bedford and had a couple of pints and played Cluedo - an evening well spent.

The following Tuesday (still crucially within week one of 2014), Simon and I had already booked tickets to see the first of four of the Fortuna Pop's Winter Sprinter nights at The Lexington.  The bands on show tonight: Let's Wrestle, Evans the Death and Mega Emotion.



Arriving late (as per usual) we were treated to a lovely crescendo of the three band members of Mega Emotion, each smashing a set of drums.  Wishing we'd seen more of them, we headed back downstairs for a top up and a smoke.



Next up, a band called Evans the Death.  Simon, convinced he'd heard them before, decided to stay downstairs and have another pint.  Not to be dissuaded, I headed up to listen to them.  I was met with a standard four piece with a tall blonde lead singer with a voice not dissimilar to the lead singer form the Dance Hall Crashers.  The innocent looking band, carved through a few tracks and I left a little underwhelmed.



Headlining the bill, one of my favourites bands of last year, were Let's Wrestle.  An amusing, if inauspicious start, where the lead singer managed to snap a string and then steal one of the support band member's guitar to carry on.  I like Let's Wrestle.  I was a big fan of 'There's a Rockstar In My Room', infectious and loud (which apparently came out in 2011 - nice one Jimmy, keeping up with the kids!).  I have to be honest and say I was underwhelmed by them, I don't know if it's The Lexington or their performance but it didn't quite catch my attention.  The lead singer is amusing and charismatic, unfortunately, they didn't play my favourite song and stuck to their newer stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment