Pages

Tuesday 28 January 2014

Week 2: Laura J Martin - The Sebright Arms, Hackney

So, on to the next gig.  This time at one of my favourite venues, The Sebright Arms.  I think it's because of the range of beers that I like The Sebright rather than for it being a great venue.  It does have a bar downstairs though, it saves a walk upstairs and is the reason why I woke up the next day with a steaming hangover.


The support band for Laura were Left With Pictures.  Involving lots of lads (five) on a small stage.  I was instantly impressed by their range of instruments: two guitarists, a bassist, a drummer and a chap hidden at the back playing a violin, as a violinist in my younger days, this fact instantly tugged at my heart-strings.  Later in the set the guitarists moved between mouth organ and keyboards, swapping instruments and generally giving a warm sound.  The two guitarists took turns to lead the singing - one sounding like Paul Smith of Maximo Park (or so Simon thought), the other sounding more like Ben Folds.  They played what I would describe as 'cowboy-folk' with a mischievous Belle & Sebastian, plinky-plonky edge.  Their quality was already much above the gig of last week and left me looking forward to Laura.


Laura J Marlin bustled on to the stage with an awkward shyness, this continued throughout the set, something I found endearing.  As you may be able to see from the above (terrible) picture, she's a flautist, and very talented she is too.  Managing to record loops of herself with foot pedals, building up a clever, choppy, aggressive flute medley.  In addition to this, she had an accompanying cellist and the obligatory drummer - he was only involved occasionally, a nice change from the normally loud and bangy bands I tend to watch.  Charming and Scouse, with a range of songs in both tempo and style, she reminded me of Regina Spektor (apart from the Scouse part), this might be a rather lazy comparison that will often be made, but if the shoe fits.  Indeed, it reminded me of a gig I once saw at the Leadmill up in Sheffield where the audience was deathly quiet.  The same atmosphere was in evidence here, you could here a pin drop.  Simon and I were both very impressed with young Laura.  I'll be looking out for again, perhaps on the festival circuit later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment